Exhibition Update #10

Dear ISL Community,

The year 6 students are presently creating their presentations and Actions. One of our guest presenters this week was Mr. Holdway. Here is what the students have to say.


Students participating in public speaking practice with Mr. Holdway.

Today we went to Fine Arts to have a talk about presenting with Mr. Holdaway. We learnt the main things we need to have good public speaking skills are to speak loudly, slowly, clearly and confidently. We have to do all of those things so the audience could tell we were confident and speaking clearly. Some of the other things we had to focus on were good posture, look confident, speak confidently and ask questions to get the audience involved in the presentation. -Tessa

I am not behind on my presentation. I am on top of it but I still feel like I have not made it. I feel like my Exhibition is incomplete. The reason being is because it is really hard to finish your work and to carry a group at the same time. I think I will be able to finish my Presentation script soon but then it's just straight to helping my group members. Don't get me wrong, I mean Exhibition is a good fun, experience but it’s not fun when you have to continuously help people and get them caught up on their work. -Lumina

My Action and My Presentation Update

I added a lot in my Presentation Slideshow and since the boards came we also started to apply primer paint on the boards, because I am doing Mural, that is going to be my Presentation and my Action. What I added in my Presentation Slideshow was the reason for creating the drafts and the progress of the Mural.

Action with partners

For the Action me and partners (Veda and Delisha) also decided to do a week-long challenge in which we have to make something out of recycling paper and plastic. In the challenge there will be Grade 3, 4 and 5 and whoever wins in the class gets a prize and the rest of the class gets Ice - Cream and Choco - bars

What I was proud of?

This week I was really patient and that was the thing that helped me the most, and the other thing I was proud of was that I helped my friends and I also finished my script halfway through. -Unnati

I learned a lot from Mr.Holdway's talk about how to perform on stage and your posture and how you should talk.It really inspired me to try my best on the assembly on Friday and on the exhibition. - Maariah


Students speaking on the phone to a local orphanage to ask about details for their Action idea.

Mahmoud and Kritika working on creating donation boxes for their group's Action.


The students have also drafted or finalized their individual or group's central idea. The central idea is "a statement which supports students’ understanding of the particular transdisciplinary theme it is connected to, and should challenge and extend students prior knowledge."

Students' Central Ideas had to meet the following criteria...
  • Challenging (not easy to solve)
  • Global
  • Important
  • Conceptual
Here are a few examples:

Climate Action: Human activities alter the earth's environmental systems. 

Life Below Water: Respecting the well-being of all life forms in water, ensures prosperity for all species. 

Decent Work & Economic Growth: Creating better work opportunities ensures fair wage and good working conditions for all. 

In their single subject classes of art, music, PE, the students have completed, or are in the process of, creating projects representing their issues. In their language classes students shared their reflections of their growth in either French, Spanish or their mother tongue. These will be presented on the Exhibition day and will also be able to be viewed on their Google site.

Ali making his foreign language video. 



Kind Regards,

Year 6 Students and Teachers








Comments