Exhibition Update #11



Dear ISL Community,

Last week, the NGOCC came to speak with the students about Gender Equality, the definition of gender, gender roles and gender equity. 
NGOCC speaking to the students. She also donated a copy of the Zambian "National Gender Policy" to our school. 
 

This past week the students have been busily finalizing their Actions and rehearsing their presentations. Here are some students' reflections …

In my Exhibition I am doing well. My google slides are done and all I have to do now is memorize it and get ready for presenting to the audience in about 3 weeks.

I am doing my Action with Kritika and some other students from 6.1. My group and I made an announcement to all the classes in primary and we told them to donate to us and we are going to give those donations to an orphanage that is in Lusaka. Every day we have to go with the boxes to all the classes in primary. Till now we are doing so well that we are getting lots of donations every day.

I was a communicator because I was going around classes and I was telling them about our fundraiser and if I needed any help I would ask a teacher or my group.
                                                                                                                                        -Mahmoud


Today I am going to talk about the learner profile I am.

I think I am a Communicator learner because I communicate with all the people I work with. You should always communicate with all the people you work with even if you work in a big or small group. Being a communicator is neither a hard job nor an easy job.

You have to be a clear communicator and always try your best to communicate.
                                                                                                                                            -Kritika



I am done with my slide show and my script. The only thing I need to do now is print my script and practice my presentation. I feel a bit nervous about the Exhibition because I have to talk in front of basically the whole school and parents and teachers. Yesterday we made a videotape which didn't go that well because everything was mixed up with my script. I rehearsed with my best friend Delisha Nayak. We had a bit of fun but we helped each other.

For my action my group and I created an Art installation where the children color in some pieces of paper with words related to gender equality. For the assembly, however, I did not do anything because I was a bit sick.

I would say I am improving my self-management skills because I am finished with most of the things that my class has not done.
                                                                                                                                              -Tiane
The Life Below Water group working on their art installation.

                                                 
Collaborating to put up the art installation.

   
                                                                                 

For these students' Action, they have planted a garden in the Primary Section of the school. 

This student is encouraging the Primary Section to reduce their electricity usage and is updating them during Assembly. 


Six of our Year 6 students wrote letters to the editor of the Zambian Business Times. As a result a photographer has come in to take the students’ global issue Action group photos.
Writing letters to the editor of the newspaper. 

Students showing off their Action of repurposing plastic and other recyclable materials to the photographers. 

On top of that, 22 students took a trip to the Hot 97 FM radio studio to record interviews on the issues of climate action, poverty, gender equality, life below water and health and well-being. These interviews will eventually be broadcast on the radio.

Getting ready for the radio interview recording.

Kind Regards,

Year 6 Students and Teachers








Comments

  1. This is great work from your team and you. I am excited to see your work published in the newspapers today. I would love to hear your work on the radio. Please do send me a recording if you have access to it. This is a true reflection of inquiry and I commend your good work !! Remember the Exhibition is not the end but just a beginning to further your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment